Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Grandma Rolig


For lack of pictures of Grandma on hand, I've taken one from my sister-in-law's blog, where there are more, if you are interested. When we said our goodbyes before we left for Africa, we all knew it might be our last on this Earth, hoping that it wouldn't. We had a long, loving embrace with some tears, reminding each other of the good times we had together, especially at the kitchen table playing scrabble. Grandma inspires me with her will to live how she wanted to live, freely golfing and driving (up until just a few years ago), making new friends all the time at McDonald's, volunteering thousands of hours over the years, living in her own house, and loving us kids to no end. We miss her and love her very much, but we are blessed to have spent such quality time with her for so long. She was 95. One more thing I'll never forget about Grandma is her competitiveness without apology. I think her last words to me cautioned me to remember that she won the majority of those scrabble games. Isn't she cool?

No comments: