Sunday, March 15, 2009

A visit to Angela's

Last weekend I had a girls' weekend at my friend, Angela's site. She lives with two girl students. It is a nice arrangement because she provides food and school fees and they help out a lot with chores. For them to live with Angela means they do a lot less housework than living with their families. This allows them more time to study.


A baby in Angela's village that she named.



Angela and her "daughters".



Memory, one of the girls, is from a village on the lake and is an expert at preparing fish. I am not sure if using a hammer like this is a traditional method though.



We taught the girls how to make pancakes one morning. As part of my lesson in "You control the pancake; the pancake does not control you" otherwise known as "flip it aggressively" I totally burned my hand on the oil. I blistered a few days later. Then this weekend I went out in Lilongwe and left the top layer of my skin on the dance floor. Oops! Let's hope it doesn't scar.

No comments: