Saturday, January 19, 2008

Back to School

Finally, after a 7 month break from full time teaching we are back at it! This school year is a little different than the last. The first day of school was January 7th. Let's just say things move a little slower here. In America the first day of school is totally crazy. Teachers are all stressed out making sure their classrooms are all set up and lessons planned.
Here, about 10 percent of the students show up and about 80 percent of the teachers. On the first day our headmaster and deputy headmaster looked at eachother and passivly discussed whether or not they should go talk to the few kids that were waiting outside the classroom. When it was decided that we would hold an "assembly" they told them to clean the classrooms and not to bully the new Form 1 students (freshman). Slowly the students have been arriving the last couple weeks. We are still waiting for official class lists though. Each Form will present its own challenges. In Form 1, we have just a few desks and about 50 students. Also, they don't really understand much of what I say. I even tried using Chichewa a few times (bad news if my Chichewa is better than some of their English as all of secondary school is taught in English). Form 2 has more like 90-100 students! They have desks, but God help us if there is a fire in that classroom because you can barely squeeze between them. The Form 3s and 4s have smaller class sizes because a lot of the students have been weeded out. They, unfortunately like the other Forms have little to know books. Brian has about 10 books for his English classes and I have none for social studies. I think social studies is a little easier to teach without books, but still a challenge to vary our teaching methods. The students are still not sure what to make of us with our different style from the Malawian teachers. They basically copy notes from the text on the board and let the students copy them in their notebooks. Nevermind comprehension!
I should highlight some of the nice things about teaching here. First of all, going to work has a whole new meaning. For me, going to work here means I actually have something to do that day, which actually provides some sanity. Also, my students have yet to disrespect me (I am sure it will come). When we walk in the room they stand. When they come into the teachers' office they kneel at your desk when asking you for something. Also, my courseload is much lighter here. I actually feel less stressed by my job here than I did in America. Pretty amazing considering the circumstanes.
I am looking forward to starting an art club soon. I told my students that I wanted to start one and they seem really excited. Some boys have already brought drawings over to our house. Brian is also one of the sports masters at the school, so that should be enjoyable.
Well, that is all for this post. Think of us in that sub-zero weather. When it is not raining we are still sweating bullets.
Miss you all!

No comments: