Saturday, January 19, 2008

School Supplies

A few different people and groups have asked me what kinds of things we might need in Malawi. Up until now, I wasn't sure what our school would need. Now that we have been able to assess at least the immediate needs, I do have a few requests.
As in the previous blog, I mentioned I would like to start an art club, so here are some supplies I am looking for:
Crayola Markers
Crayola Crayons
Crayola Watercolors
Pencils
Erasers
Paper- Any kind, white, colored, used...
Elmer's Glue-All
Clear Packaging Tape
Fat Permanent Markers
Rubber Stamps and Ink (for marking student work)
Any Craft Supplies
Brian just added "electricity and a laminater"....ha! Then I'll add "computers"! (By the way for all of you veteran teachers you will appreciate that we have a carbon duplicating machine, it is broken but is still a prized possession)

I have to admit that I am a little hesitant to even ask for these things as donations because Peace Corps tries to shy away from just giving out money and things. We are really here to transfer our skills, which is much more sustainable than donations. There is definitly a culture of hand-outs here which can be frustrating for us, as Westerners, represent wealth, but we are trying not to throw money at the problems. That being said, I hope everyone understands our intentions.

As for our personal needs, the most important thing to us is hearing from people in some form. We can't express how much we appreciate letters, pictures, emails, etc. Of course we miss so many material things from home, but we miss people the most. Cheesy I know...Anyway, thank you so much again for all the Christmas cards and packages. When we came to Lilongwe this weekend we were totally overwhelmed with the mail waiting for us. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

No comments: